The Museum of Wisconsin Art (MOWA) seeks an experienced, full-time graphic designer to implement the creative strategy and overall design of all marketing collateral and visual communications. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, the graphic designer will play a collaborative role and will work closely with members of the administrative staff to support and communicate the museum’s mission.
Founded in 1961, MOWA is one of the top museums of regional art in the United States, with 5,000+ works of contemporary and historic art by more than 350 artists. Located in West Bend, Wisconsin, the museum champions regional art and artists throughout the state and provides an innovative forum for all. In 2013, MOWA opened a new 32,000-square-foot facility along the Milwaukee River that provides a stunning contemporary home for its collection and related educational programs. MOWA features more than 18 special exhibitions and 175+ programs a year at its main campus in West Bend and its satellite location in Milwaukee.
The graphic designer is responsible for the implementation and design of:
- Collaborate with MOWA staff members from all departments: education, curatorial, development, member services, marketing, MOWA Shop, and the Executive Director;
- Actively participate in interdepartmental meetings and planning sessions;
- Establish and maintain solid relationships with external vendors and partners, including printers, freelancers, photographers, and volunteers;
- Ensure all images and design files are filed, organized, and properly tagged;
- Work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
- Manage project schedules, prioritize and re-prioritize as demands change to ensure timely,
high-quality, accurate, and brand-consistent deliverables; and
- Complete miscellaneous tasks as assigned.
In addition to print and digital design, the graphic designer will assist in:
- Institutional marketing collateral;
- Exhibition catalogues (1-3 books per year);
- Quarterly member newsletter;
- E-newsletters, e-invitations, and other digital communications;
- Exhibition and special event collateral: invitations, labels, signage, handouts, flyers, lobby television slideshows, etc.;
- Variable data letters, envelopes, reply mechanisms, and other solicitation pieces;
- Select MOWA Shop merchandise; and
- Design of graphics and visuals for use within website, digital advertising, and social media.
The ideal candidate is:
- Photographing exhibition openings, special events, member programs, and other activities outside of regular work hours (1-3 per month) as assigned;
- Various videography projects; and
- Color correcting, photo editing, and organizing all digital assets on the network drive.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, motivated, and flexible;
- Able to work creatively within a brand platform;
- A pro-active, positive, team player;
- An excellent communicator and strong writer;
- Flexible and able to solicit feedback;
- Able to bring a level of professionalism and expertise to every initiative; and
- Dedicated and committed to the organization’s mission and strategic plan.
- Completed bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite and proficient in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Three to five years of applied experience in a professional graphic design role
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Experience with email marketing platforms (MailChimp or similar) and using social media for business (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube)
- Experience working within a web content management system (CMS)
- Skills in photography and videography are preferred
The selected candidate must be able to maintain a stationary position for extended periods of time and able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Salaried Employee Benefits
The Museum of Wisconsin Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It offers competitive salary compensation package that includes health insurance, health savings account, vacation, holidays, free parking, Three+ Membership, MOWA class discounts, and MOWA Shop discounts.
To be considered for this position interested applicants are required to submit an application and supporting materials online by Friday, May 18 at noon
All applicants must upload a cover letter, resume, and at least three samples of their best graphic design work. Links to online portfolios are welcome in addition to the three uploaded samples of work. Three professional references must also be included. The selected applicant is required to submit a formal background check before the start of employment.
Back to available positions