Volunteers make extraordinary contributions to MOWA, the community, and the arts and culture of the state.
A wide range of museum needs offer opportunities for volunteers to get involved, give back, and learn more about Wisconsin art. MOWA is always looking for volunteers with an enthusiastic disposition to work together with staff and share their expertise. Training is provided and an art background is not required.
Sign up today! Complete and submit the Volunteer Application Form
Education Program Volunteers
Education programs offer art-making fun for all ages. Volunteers share their excitement and creativity as members explore, create, and discover during Studio Saturdays, MOWA Masters and Junior Masters, and special activities led by MOWA’s education team and Wisconsin artists.
Special Events Volunteers
- Studio Saturdays: Every Saturday | 11:00–2:00 (a 3-hour shift per month commitment is preferred)
- Easter Egg Hunt: Saturday, March 31 | 10:00–1:00
A wide variety of MOWA Special Events—member days, exhibition opening parties, seasonal celebrations, and signature annual galas—welcome visitors for an enriching museum excursion. Volunteers are integral to the hosting team, greeting guests, answering questions, helping with general event monitoring, and set-up/clean-up.
- Wisconsin Artists Biennial Panel: Saturday, March 17 | 1:00–3:00
- Exhibition Opening Party: Saturday, April 14 | 10:00–5:00 (2–3 hour shifts)
- Vintage 2018: Saturday, July 14
- Downtown West Bend Association Farmer's'Markets: Saturdays, July 21 and 28 | 6:45–11:00
- Art & Chalk Fest: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, July 27 (set up), 28 and 29
MOWA always has something new for visitors to discover, whether it’s their first time to the museum or the first time that week. Volunteers take on the role of a museum ambassador, greeting and checking-in visitors, answering questions about the museum, and/or assisting customers in the MOWA Shop.
- Daytime, weekend, and evening hours
- Offsite at festivals, the West Bend Farmer’s Market, and bridal shows
MOWA docents are a dedicated and fun group of volunteers who introduce visitors of all ages to the important collection of Wisconsin art. Docents command a range of interests and experience which helps inspire, educate, and engage visitors through tours of the works of art on view. Docents are needed on an ongoing basis. Training is provided.
Read more about the Docent Program
MOWA offers internship opportunities for undergraduate, graduate, or high school students interested in the museum practice. Interns gain professional skills and work on a wide variety of projects that complement their academic study. Opportunities are available in the Curatorial, Marketing, and Development departments. A mutually agreed upon schedule is determined on a case-by-case basis.
View current opportunities