The Museum of Wisconsin Art (MOWA) is one of the top museums of regional art in the United States. MOWA celebrates the value, diversity, and uniqueness of the visual arts and artists of Wisconsin. MOWA is looking to hire a motivated, experienced, and hardworking custodian who takes pride in their work. Under the direction of the Building Operator, the custodian is responsible for ensuring visitors are met with a clean, attractive, safe, and orderly environment. Duties include cleaning exhibition spaces and galleries, employee offices, public restrooms, and other areas to ensure the museum is ready to welcome members and guests. Responsibilities also include program and rental setup and breakdown. The position of custodian is part-time (12 to 15 hours per week), with occasional opportunities for additional hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Cleans and maintains all public and employee areas, exhibition spaces, windows, walls, and doors, and restrooms
- Provides assistance in the setup and breakdown of meetings and museum events
- Works proactively with special events manager to ensure that all meeting, program, event, and rental spaces are clean and set for use
- Collects and disposes trash and recyclables
- Occasional exterior grounds maintenance
- Keeps supply closet stocked with required items
- Maintains cleaning equipment and tools
- Notifies supervisor of any maintenance issues or of equipment that may need repair
- Ensures work is performed safely, according to museum policies and guidelines and in accordance with appropriate MSDS
- Other duties may be required and assigned
Education & Experience
- Qualified candidates must possess high school diploma or GED, previous custodial experience, a valid Wisconsin driver license, and must complete a background check.
- This position requires frequent lifting, bending, walking and standing.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds and use a handheld truck/dolly .
Schedule and Benefits
Preferred hours are Monday–Friday 7–10 a.m. (up to 15 hours per week) and special events as needed.
Benefits include paid holidays, museum membership, and an extraordinary work environment.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to describe a general summary along with essential responsibilities of work performed. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of responsibilities, duties, and skills or qualifications required of an employee to do this job. This job description does not establish an agreement or contract for employment and position functions are subject to change at the discretion of the employer. The Museum of Wisconsin Art is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Back to available positions