The Membership Manager is responsible for developing and implementing strategies around MOWA’s pioneering “everyone’s a member” philosophy. This includes the growth, retention, and engagement of annual members across mail, online, onsite, and phone channels. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position will be responsible for membership revenue generation and expense management, acknowledgments, fulfillment, stewardship, programming, and data entry activities.
Founded in 1961, MOWA is one of the top museums of regional art in the United States, with 5,000+ works of contemporary and historic art by more than 350 artists. Located in West Bend, Wisconsin, the museum champions regional art and artists throughout the state and provides an innovative forum for the culturally engaged. In 2013, MOWA opened a new 32,000-square-foot facility along the Milwaukee River that provides a stunning contemporary home for its collection and related educational programs. MOWA features more than 18 special exhibitions and 175+ programs a year at its main campus in West Bend and its two satellite locations in Milwaukee.
Essential Job Functions
- Helps plan and implement a program of tiered benefits for members
- Writes appeals (acquisition, renewal, lapsed, upgrade) and other membership communication
- Manages membership acknowledgment mailings and fulfillment procedures
- Completes the data entry of membership gifts and updates of membership information into the database
- Works closely with the Database Manager to adhere to established processes and ensure data accuracy and financial reconciliation
- Coordinates with the Marketing team to help promote a multi-channel marketing plan for membership through print, online, and onsite channels
- Ensures proper stewardship and recognition for members with mailings (print and online), calls, and other forms of outreach
- Serves as primary contact for incoming calls about membership
- Works events to promote membership, including exhibition opening parties, Art & Chalk Fest, Bloomin’ Holidays, fundraisers, member appreciation events, and others, as needed
- Champions a culture of exemplary member service
- Assists in establishing, documenting, and updating written departmental policies and procedures describing gift processes, systems, rules, and guidelines
- Tracks progress to financial goals and other key performance metrics with a regular schedule of reporting on the growth, retention, upgrade, and engagement of the membership base
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills including understanding of financial metrics and ability to analyze data
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as public interaction skills
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently with initiative and collaboratively as part of a team
- Enthusiasm and desire to make an impact
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required
Education and Experience
- College degree
- Experience in nonprofit fundraising, preferably a membership organization
- Experience with donor database operations preferred
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office suite
- Maintain a stationary standing or sitting position for extended periods of time. Be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Part-time, 28 hours per week.
applicants are required to apply online and submit a cover letter,
resume, and the names of three professional references.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to describe a general summary along with essential responsibilities of work performed. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of responsibilities, duties, and skills or qualifications required of an employee to do this job. This job description does not establish an agreement or contract for employment and position functions are subject to change at the discretion of the employer. The Museum of Wisconsin Art is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Back to available positions