Position: Museum Sales Associate
Location: MOWA | 205 Veterans Avenue | West Bend
Job Type: Hourly, Non-exempt
Job Status: Part time
Reports to: Gift Shop Manager
Updated: December 2021
The Museum Sales Associate provides a welcoming and friendly introduction to the MOWA Shop by engaging visitors and members with a gracious, helpful attitude to deliver a remarkable experience. Primary functions include the sale of Wisconsin related items and artwork in the gift shop, and maintaining visual quality through merchandising and organization of product. As the face of the museum, enthusiasm for the MOWA mission is essential for individuals in this role to deliver value and quality to the member experience.
Located in West Bend, Wisconsin, the Museum of Wisconsin Art champions regional art and artists throughout the state and provides an innovative forum for the culturally engaged. In 2013, MOWA opened a new 32,000-square-foot facility along the Milwaukee River that provides a stunning contemporary home for its collection and related educational programs.
Essential Job Functions
• Greet and facilitate positive experiences during Shop interactions
• Stay current on local artisans, especially those on display in the Shop
• Represent MOWA with a high level of integrity and professionalism; adhere to policies, maintain confidentiality; and support decisions or directives in a positive and professional manner
• Restock and artfully display Shop product
• Open and close MOWA to the public in collaboration with other team members
• Ensure all product is received and ticketed appropriately
• Assist with monthly inventory of fine art and jewelry
• Use point of sale for Shop transactions and potentially museum memberships. Handle cash and all other tender types, balance to zero at end of shift, and complete related paperwork accurately
• Perform other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Passionate and kind customer service experience (greet, listen, answer, engage, excite, empathize, think)
• Service-driven; team-oriented; organized multitasker
• Point of sale/cash register experience; experience with ticketing or admission systems preferred
• Professional oral and written communication skills
• Ability to “think on your feet,” respond quickly with good judgement, and mature reasoning/decision making
• Ability to diffuse negative situations to secure a positive outcome
• Proficient computer skills using PC-based computers with Microsoft Office/Outlook products such as email, calendars, Word, Excel, etc.
Education and Qualifications
• High School diploma (or GED) required
• Customer service and sales with point of sale/cash handling work experience required
• Three years in a service/sales position
• Art/museum education or interest in art museums considered a plus
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Maintain a stationary standing or sitting position for extended periods
• Be able to lift up to 30 pounds
• Visual ability to recognize visitors, members, and staff and to read computer monitor or print materials
• Manual dexterity necessary to use keyboard/mouse, prepare or complete forms, and handle bills/coins
This part-time position will be scheduled approximately 15-20 hours weekly on weekday and weekend business hours while the museum is open (currently Wednesdays through Sundays, 9:30am–4:00pm). It may include after-hours special events, functions, and training.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to describe a general summary along with essential responsibilities of work performed. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of responsibilities, duties, and skills or qualifications required of an employee to do this job. This job description does not establish an agreement or contract for employment and position functions are subject to change at the discretion of the employer. The Museum of Wisconsin Art is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should apply here:
Back to available positions